Saturday, November 13, 2010

Long-Term Storage

The Monkey is getting to the point where he could be making his first permanent memory any time now. I don't know exactly how old I was, but I do remember being in diapers. So what, two years old? The Monkey is fast approaching his second birthday and I'm beginning to wonder what his first memory might be.

I'm forming memories of him all the time. Just to name a few:

Recently he's decided he likes sitting on the back porch swing with me. He'll be playing out back, picking up sticks and rolling his trucks across the deck, when suddenly he'll come tromping over and climb up next to me on the swing. He never sits too close - he still needs his space. That's a child of the Weirdo for sure. So he'll climb up and I push the swing. He'll look out into the yard, seemingly lost in wonder at the sight of the world. And then just for a few moments he'll look over at me and smile, or babble, or just look at me while I talk to him.

The other night it was time for bed. The Weirdo and I told the Monkey this, and he of course went into "But how can you put me to bed while I'm so cute and loving on you?" mode. The Monkey crawled up onto the couch and tucked himself between her and the couch cushions. He laid there with her, doing his very best impression of an infant, while every few seconds cutting his eyes up to see if I was still there.

It's little moments like these that will stay in my mind forever. But what will be his first memory? Will it be one of these moments that is meaningful to me, or will it be some random point in time when his little brain finally figures out the whole long-term storage thing?

Regardless of when he starts making his first memories, I hope they're good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment